Mary Ann Brown
I’ve been working in the fitness industry in various roles for 20+ years. From counter girl at Power House gym all the way up to now owner of a pretty freaking fantastic CrossFit box. I was introduced to CrossFit in 2005 after being in the bodybuilding/weightlifting world for many years. I immediately fell in love with the variety and intensity of the daily workouts. CrossFit challenged me way beyond any other fitness regimen I had dabbled with before. After a brief hiatus from personal training, my own fitness competitions, advancing my career in the corporate world and having a couple of babies, I decided in 2012 to start our garage gym…Brevity Fitness. In March of 2019 we expanded our little garage gym with the purchase of J5 CrossFit and merged our two families of athletes into one community of truly incredible people. My true passion has always been to help others discover their “inner athlete”. We are all capable of amazing things if we just have the right people in our lives to help us along. Becoming the owner and head coach of J5 has allowed me to have the privilege of being a part of so many more lives. Our community of athletes really is amazing and diverse. I am honored to get to watch it continue to grow and develop into something really special.
- Favorite thing about coaching?
- Being a small part of someone’s fitness journey as they gain the athletic ability and confidence to try things they never thought possible.
- First CrossFit WOD & when?
- Cindy in 2005 (super scaled….like a lot)
- Least favorite benchmark?
- Fran – She’s just mean and devastates me every time. Maybe some day I’ll like her….maybe.
- Favorite benchmark?
- The Chief
- Which CrossFit movement is totally in your wheelhouse?
- Favorite Cheat Meal?
- Chocolate covered in chocolate with a little caramel and more chocolate. Did I mention chocolate?
- Favorite Supplement?
- Moringa – EVERY day.
- Favorite CrossFit Athlete?
- I’ve always had a bit of a girl crush on Camille Leblanc-Bazinet.
- Advice to new CrossFit Athletes?
- Don’t be afraid to try new things, and trust the process.
- If you could have one super power what would it be?
- The ability to wipe out someone’s insecurities and self doubt.
- Tell us one thing about yourself not related to CrossFit?
- Mom, grandma, law enforcement wife. Oh wait…that’s 3 things. 😁
Mary Ann’s Certifications:
- ACE certified Group Fitness Instructor
- CrossFit Level 1 Trainer
- Former competitive bodybuilder with a degree in Kinesiology and Community Health from SIU-Edwardsville.